Saturday, September 6, 2008

Gustav: Saturday Morning Update

Return to work/school information:

  • Principals, custodians, and cafeteria managers should report to work on Monday, September 8th.
  • COC, MOC, OSS personnel should report to work on Monday, September 8th.
  • Schools are currently scheduled to re-open on Wednesday, September 10th.
  • The district will be picking up spoiled food items on Monday from cafeteria freezers and coolers, with vendors restocking on Tuesday in preparation for Wednesday's return to school.

About making up school days:

We can expect to have to makeup some--if not all--of the time we have missed. Plans are in the works at this moment to determine the best way to accomplish this. Some ideas include adding minutes to the school day and eliminating professional development days. This will be a topic for discussion at the Sept. 11 School Board meeting, so stay tuned for further developments.

P.S. Electrical power was restored this morning to most of Elliot Subdivision in Morgan City.

This morning, I reluctantly made hotel reservations in Shreveport beginning Thurday, Sept. 11--just in case Ike decides to finish what Gustav started.

sudu

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any news about Ike?

Anonymous said...

Does this last stament mean we will probably be evacuating again by Wednesday or Thursday?
Monica (Watts)

Su Dupre said...

No, not necessarily, Monica. But when I evacuate, I usually leave with older folks who can't drive for long distances. I need to make sure that I have a place to be, so I make hotel reservations early and cancel them if I don't need them. If a hurricane is projected to enter the Gulf, I probably already have reservations! Please don't let my precautions add stress. :-)

sudu

Anonymous said...

I think a decision should be made by tomorrow about whether or not to open schools on Wednesday. Like you, I have an entire family to evacuate (including small children), and we can't be waiting until Wednesday or Thursday to leave. The roads will be crazy by then. I don't want my kids to miss school, but I don't want to wait until the last minute to evacuate either. Anyone who has ever been stuck in traffic for 8 hours with small children in the car know what I'm talking about. Let's just start school on Monday.

Su Dupre said...

I totally understand, and I've been watching Ike today, too There are indications this evening that the storm is taking a turn westward, which will mean that we are okay. However, I know that no one wants us to be placed in peril; it's just too early to make a decision. Even three day forecasts are unreliable!

Anonymous said...

As for now, it doesn't look like Ike will be much of a threat to us. The official forecast track keeps moving further south and west. Of course, this could change, but at least for now it looks good for us! I am ready to get back to some sort of normalcy.

Anonymous said...

When will the SMP homepage and webmail be up and running?

Su Dupre said...

The web site has been up since Friday.

Anonymous said...

I was able to access it a few times Friday but not since then. I have not had problems with any other site.

Anonymous said...

I would like to send a big PAW Thank You to Robbie Leblanc and Steve Nugent for assisting in reporting damage to CHS during the 4 days during the storm. You aide and support to the school and community are greatly acknowledged. Thanks. Michael Galler