Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ike: Sunday Morning Update

From Dr. Aguillard:
All St. Mary Parish schools are set to reopen on Monday, September 15, 2008.

From Su:
Let's hope that the rest of the 2008 Hurricane season is UNEVENTFUL! However, if you have photos of damage to your school or your area, please send them to me via email (su.dupre@gmail.com), and I'll put together a slide show to remind us of how challenging the past few weeks have been. Thanks bunches!

Note: Move your mouse over the image below to view SlideShow controls. Click the little caption cloud icon (lower left) to view the captions and the photo credits. I'll be adding photos as you submit them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are all schools going to be tested for mold levels?

Anonymous said...

How can schools open. There were alot of students whos home was ruined!

Su Dupre said...

I don't see how we can avoid reopening schools, and I don't know that we'd want to keep students out of school. While there are areas in which homes were ruined and electricity is still an iffy proposition, those areas are limited for now. My heart goes out to those folks. For those students affected, I'm certain that consideration for their absences will be given. However, I think that it's better for us to reopen schools and offer students a sense that things can return to normal. At the very least, students will receive the hot meals and clean water that is often hard to come by during times like these.

I do know that the decision to close and/or reopen schools is not made quickly,and it is made by weighing the situation across the whole district.

Now, if this rain would just stop, I'd feel much more secure.

LOSNSHFL said...

I agree SuDu. It takes a lot of deliberation and consideration for St. Mary Parish to close schools. It is of the utmost importance we get our children back in school and in a safe environment. The entire St. Mary Parish School system should be commended in this time of adversity.